Monday, October 15, 2007

Blog Action Day

Today is Blog Action Day where each blogger is to blog about the environment related to their topic/theme.

I am in IT so what can I blog about which would be relevant. Well, I recently attended Gartner Symposium ITxpo where "Green IT" is a key theme for the Symposium and Gartner expects this to be an ongoing theme for the IT industry for the next 3 to 5 years.

Michael Dell as one of the keynote speaker spoke about Dell's commitment to the "greening" of their line of products (better power consumption and preservation, better disposal of raw materials, etc).

We will be mandated to do whatever is possible to ensure that our IT infrastructure do not impact the environment negatively so power consumption is one that will be looked at seriously over the next 12 months and reduction of obsolete IT components to be recycled instead of being dumped into the City dumps.

I would think another factor should include the reduction in paper usage. We generate a vast amount of paper (from printers and photocopiers) so given that the price of LCD monitors are way cheaper than they are now, it should be easier to read entire documents on screen rather than printing them out. I think re-educating folks in the organization to think before they print or photocopy as I see a lot of printouts left at the printer for days and they get chucked at the end of the week or folks printing out manuals (I've been guilty where I would print out a section of manuals to read while waiting for my kids to finish their activities).

No comments: