Monday, April 02, 2007

I have it pretty good...

The other week I was chatting with one of my colleague and the topic turned to work and work environment. Basically my colleague asked me if I can see myself working for my current employer 10, 20 years down the road and my reply was that I am not even looking that far down. It seems that he was getting pretty frustrated with some of the stuff that are inherent in the organization. We are a union-based organization and firing employees for just case is not an easy task and takes a fair amount of effort and time. I am also fielding quite a bit of employment opportunities now that the IT market in Vancouver has picked up pretty much over the last 12 months.

Anyhow, that conversation got me thinking about how good or bad I have it with my current employer.

- I work 7hrs/day for a total of 35hrs/week. Any time over that is paid at either 1.5 or 2.0 times the regular rate depending. It's 1.5 times for the first two hours after the end of your regular workday otherwise it is 2.0 times;
- I get paid an hour for every 3 hours of on-call time;
- I get 3 weeks of vacation to start and it increments for every year that I stayed (we have folks who been here 25 years and have 7 weeks of vacation!);
- I have approximately 2 weeks of special leave (e.g. Family illness, etc) per year which is to be used as needed;
- My wife's dentist told her that we have one of the better dental benefits plan in Vancouver;
- I have averaged about 3 to 4 weeks of training/conference per year since I've been here;
- If I want to, I could take a day off biweekly by working an extra 47 minutes for the other 9 working days which we term a flex-day;
- I am enjoying the work that I do now although there are challenges mostly to do with the softer side of IT work (people, politics and processes);

The downside is obviously the 3P's (people, politics and processes); we are not leading edge in technologies (and we don't have to be) and the compensation is not the greatest but other than that, it's pretty well good so I'm currently happy unless someone else can make me a better offer (and I'm not talking compensation).

No comments: