Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Managing, Part Deux

Hah, managing people is probably one of the toughest things to do. The reasons varies but a key component is that emotions/feelings comes into play which means that most folks tend to have an emotional investment in their work.

Anyhow, I got to deal with a people issue where one team member decided to trash another while the other employee is away. It was a comment (unfortunately it wasn't one-off as this employee has repeated it a number of times at different occassions). Regardless whether it's true or not, I will have to have a little chat with said employee and request that he stop doing that and to respect all team members. Maybe I should have stepped right in and told him that during the team meeting but I didn't think it would be appropriate to kind of jump down his throat.

I guessed the next best thing is the little chat and see how it goes from there.

3 comments:

Robert Vollman said...

I guess it depends on your style. I've known managers that keep their hands off this kind of situation. They let people work things out for themselves.

Then again, I knew managers that were very close to their employees and would have regular sit-downs with them where things like this would get discussed.

I guess it really depends on the situation.

Peter K said...

I wasn't too worried about the individuals involved but more worried about the other members of the team.

I know that if the comment has been made in mixed company (i.e. internal and external employees), I would have stepped in and stop it right there but because it is made within the team, I wasn't too keen on jumping in.

Robert Vollman said...

I knew a team leader once who would occasionally make negative comments about teammates with the whole team present. Some people seemed to almost use it as an excuse to ease up. "Sure, I may not be doing my best, but I'm still better than so-and-so." So yeah, I guess it's good for a leader/manager to minimise any comments from anyone about poor performance around the team.