Friday, May 06, 2005

Professionalism and responsibility

I've talked about the concern that I raised about the 'light-hearted' article that Burleson wrote entitled "User is a four-letter word" where the IT end-user community were categorized into four categories (all of which are demeaning and belittle the user community). So, what am I advocating when I say "Professionalism and taking the responsibility to advance the profession."?

Here's somethng on "Code of Ethics" and "Standards of Conduct", both of which are taken from the Canadian Information Processing Society (CIPS) - Canada's equivalent of the British Computer Society,
Code of Conduct.


7.3. Code of Ethics
The following statements are agreed to by all members of CIPS BC as a condition of membership. I acknowledge that my position as an information systems professional carries with it certain obligations, and I will take diligent personal responsibility for their discharge.
P) To the public: I will endeavour at all times to protect the public interest. I will strive to promote understanding of information systems and their application. I will not represent myself as an authority on topics in which I lack competence.
M) To myself and my profession: I will guard my competence and effectiveness as a valuable possession. I will work to maintain them despite changing circumstances and requirements. I will demonstrate the highest personal standards of moral responsibilities, character, and integrity when acting in my professional capacity.
C) To my colleagues: I will treat my colleagues with integrity and respect their right to success. I will contribute to the information systems profession to the best of my ability.
E) To my employer and/or clients: I will give conscientious service to further my employer's and/or client's legitimate best interests through management's direction.
R) To my employees and contracted staff: I will observe their obligation to uphold the Code of Ethics of the professional societies to which they belong.
S) To my students: I will provide a scholarly education to my students in a supportive and helpful manner.
7.4. Standards of Conduct
The Code of Ethics is a set of ideals to which CIPS members aspire. The Standards of Conduct is intended to be more practicably enforceable. The following statements are agreed to by all members of CIPS as a condition of membership.
Due to my obligation to the public:
P1) I will not unnecessarily withhold information pertinent to public issues relating to information systems. I will work to enhance the public's understanding of information systems and their current capabilities and limitations
P2) I will not disseminate, nor allow to go unchallenged, false or misleading information I believe is likely to have significant consequences.
P3) I will not offer professional information or advice I know to be misleading, or whose accuracy is beyond my competence to assess.
P4) I will not seek to acquire, through my position or special knowledge, for my own or others’ use, information not rightly mine to possess.
P5) I will obey the laws of the applicable jurisdictions, and will not counsel nor assist any person to act in any way contrary to these laws. I will inform appropriate individuals if I become aware of illegal actions.
P6) I will endeavour to enhance public understanding of information systems.
Due to my obligation to myself and my profession:
M1) I will not knowingly allow my competence to fall short of that necessary to reasonably carry out my duties.
M2) I will conduct my professional duties in such a manner as to cause no harm to the stature of the profession.
M3) I will take appropriate action on reasonably certain knowledge of unethical conduct on the part of a colleague.
M4) I will not misrepresent my qualifications, expertise or experience as an information systems professional. I will limit my contributions to my area(s) of expertise.
Due to my obligation to my colleagues:
C1) I will not unnecessarily withhold information pertinent to my work or profession.
C2) I will give full acknowledgment to the work of others.
C3) I will endeavour to share my knowledge and skills with my colleagues to achieve successful results.
Due to my obligation to my employer and my clients:
E1) I will accept responsibility for my work and for meeting commitments. I will inform others with a right and need to know of pertinent parts of my work.
E2) I will not accept work that I do not feel competent to perform or that cannot be completed in an appropriate timeframe to my employer's satisfaction.
E3) I will guard the legitimate confidentiality of my employer's private information.
E4) I will ensure my employer/client is aware of appropriate expertise and current professional knowledge pertinent to the specific task(s) at hand.
E5) I will respect the commercial aspect of my obligation to my employer and/or clients. I will honour all contractual agreements and confidentiality requirements. I will keep confidential my employer's and other companies' information, particularly as regards data and software.
E6) I will not accept work I feel would be unethical or would use resources I know belong to others.
E7) I will avoid conflicts of interest and will give notice of potential conflicts.
Due to my obligations to my students:
S1) I will maintain my knowledge of information systems in those areas in which I teach to a level exceeding curriculum requirements.
S2) I will treat my students as worthy of significant effort on my part.

Looking at the list, we can safely said that P3 is applicable to BC and it is necessary for DKB and anyone else for that matter to make corrections to any published articles that are infactual or have been shown to be infactual.

1 comment:

Used to Be Sami B. said...

Peter,

You got an honorable mention by DB in a post on Robert Freeman's blog. Although I don't think you want to reply. I could have corrected him (as I am actually the Sami B. who posted in his forum), but I figured why bother? He never accepts being wrong anyway.

http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=11463104&postID=111421236755123561