Friday, May 20, 2005

Hmmm...Intro.

I've installed Statcounter on my blog a couple of days ago and I guess the current spat with Don Burleson has pulled more visitors according to Statcounter which is great but also provide me with a dilemma. Given that there is an increased interest in my blog, I would want to make the blog a more rewarding experience. I am not going to try and post more technical stuff as there are many more folks who are technically more competent that I in Oracle. I will have to at least post one interesting entry per week. For now, given the recent spat with DKB, I thought I might as well provide more information about myself but No, I'm not going to go all out and identified myself. I am stil paranoid on how easy it is to have your identity stolen.

I've been in IT since the early 80's and actually started working with Oracle version 3.0! The irony was that I took almost all different IT subjects (like CG, AI, digital design, security, etc.) in university except for database concepts/technologies and I ended up working with databases right out of university. I spent two years in England working for a consulting firm doing mostly Oracle programming and database administration. After which I moved to Vancouver, British Columbia where I've been since. The first eight years of my career was spent working for various consulting firms (doing mostly Oracle/Ingres and data modelling stuff) including a stint with Canada's premier consulting firm at that time - SHL Systemhouse. I then decided to do more non-technical stuff moving into Data Management and Project Management but still having a hand in Oracle.

Industries that I have been involved in included Aerospace, Ship Building, Network, Government, Telecommunications, Retail, New Media and non-profit agencies. I almost could have retired but unfortunately the dot bomb era caught up before we could successfully launch the product. C'est la vie. Anyhow, I am now currently managing a team of DBAs and Unix Administrators for a Government agency.

I think that's enough about me for now and my next entry should be on "Managing your manager".

4 comments:

Kevin Closson said...

What spat?

Peter K said...

That's strange, Eddie's Oranews feed picked up an old posting...

Kevin, it was old news and I would rather leave it at that. Ask me again when we meet up.

Don Burleson said...

Ok, I'll bite . . .

Why is it that people say that I have a "spat" with someone, when I don't participate, or know anything about it?

Peter, if you want, I'll be glad to say something offensive here, if it would help your traffic ; )

Take care . . .

Peter K said...

Don,
Take a look at the date of the blog entry, May 20th 2005 and I mentioned that Oradot.com/News picked up an old posting.

I am not about to rehash a post that was almost 18 months old. If you want to be offensive, that's your right and as is mine to remove irrelevant comments on my blog.

Thank you but no thanks, I don't need your help to generate traffic to my blog. ;)